Friday 17 March 2017

40 Acts of Lent: Day 15 - Influence

Act 15 - Influence
Act fifteen - Influence by Alexandra Khan
We all have influence, even if we're not aware of it. It's not something reserved for limelight seekers. Influence is simply the impact we have on others that changes how they feel or act. Think about the areas of your life where you have a voice that's listened to. You might be naturally sociable and have a wide network of friends, or have a close group of those who trust you. Wherever your influence is, use it wisely and generously today.

"Do not despise these small beginnings…"  
                                                                                              Zechariah 4:10 (NLT)

In late 2010 I sat in Café Rouge with the man who would become my line manager. "Where do you want to be in five years?" he asked.
I was 23; young enough to believe I could still change the world, old enough to know I couldn't just sit and wait for it to happen.
"In five years I want your job," I replied, without skipping a beat.

Fast forward nearly seven years. I still don't have my manager's job, nor do I have the kind of influence I thought I'd have at the age of 30. I've grown in unexpected ways. My knowledge and experience have opened up different spheres of influence. And actually, I'm alright with that.

Having influence isn't about the number of Instagram followers you have or the title on your business card. It's about using what's in your hand.
For me, that looked like this:

Taking traumatic life experiences and using them to help others with similar struggles
Using my love of digital media to help grow one of the most generous communities in the world (here's looking at you, 40activists)
Speaking out and then putting my money where my mouth is for causes that I'm passionate about, like domestic abuse, clean water and poverty relief

For others, that looks like using a skill in a selfless way every day, or being a dedicated parent, or climbing to CEO of a mega corporation, or being distinctly ordinary and yet still extraordinarily distinct because that is how each of us was created to be.

We all have influence, and it isn't linked to our job titles or our following (Jesus started out with just 12 followers). Your influence is limited only by what you are prepared to do with the gifts, experiences and passions you've been given.
Consider them, today. And be inspired to use them generously.

Choose how to complete this act...

GREEN OPTION:
Not sure you have much influence in other people's lives? Think about who you interact with on a daily or weekly basis. How do you behave around them or on social media?
           Are there things you need to change? Could you make more of a conscious effort to                                         engage with others more meaningfully?

YELLOW OPTION:
It's easy to feel powerless in the face of large scale injustice or to switch off when it comes to national or international events.
            But you have influence that reaches much further than just those in your day-to-day.
              Take stock of what you feel passionate about. Can you write a letter, add your name to a                               campaign, share something on social media? Don't file it away for later – do it now.

RED OPTION:
If you really want to go all out, publicise your cause/charity with an event. It may not happen today or this week, but you can get the ball rolling with inviting a speaker, and researching a venue.
           Make a big noise, and create some community memories to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - thanks for visiting.
We're always happy to receive comments, however,
we do moderate them to avoid spam.