Wednesday 15 March 2017

40 Acts of Lent: Day 13 - Firstfruits

Act 13 - First Fruits

Act thirteen - First Fruits  by Francesca Day
Money can be difficult to talk about when it comes to generosity. But thinking about how to treat others first, rather than what you'd spend the money on yourself – that can just drastically change your whole perspective on money. So, today's act is about giving with our money. When money comes your way, what questions are you asking?

"Jesus told him, 'If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.' 
But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he had many possessions." 
                                                                                                                    Matthew 19: 21–22 (NLT)

I have read Jesus' instruction to the rich man countless times. Until recently, I never really applied it to myself. I'm a student – I'm not rich! I'm nothing like those bankers and footballers who fly around in private jets while people go hungry.

I couldn't get the rich man out of my head though. Praying on this verse, I realised just how rich I am. I always have enough to eat and a warm place to sleep. I have many more clothes than I need. I have money for the odd take away coffee. In fact, my PhD stipend puts me in the richest 10% of people in the world. It's time to admit that I am the rich man and I have much to give away.

The rich man walks sadly away from Jesus, because he does not want to give away his great wealth. Many times in my life, I have done the same. I don't want to give up my coffees and my shoes. Furthermore, we live in a culture where giving substantial amounts of money to charity is seen as incredibly odd – the social pressure to spend my money solely on myself and my friends is very strong. Serious financial giving is just one of the ways in which Jesus calls us to live radical lives, and I know this is a goal we can reach with God's help.

Today's world offers many more opportunities for giving than were available in Jesus' time – today, we can help people on the other side of the world without even getting dressed. So where should Christians give? This is a question that I believe merits serious thought – where will your charitable donations do the most good?

By giving generously, and by thinking humbly about where we give, we rich men and women can walk back towards Jesus.

Choose how to complete this act...

This isn't about the size of your gift – it's more about whether you prioritise money as a gift. We all have something we can give (even if for some it's not financial). Put a note in your purse or wallet reminding yourself that God's inviting you to offer your best.
           Or put a reminder in your phone for payday.

Who could you creatively gift today? Do you know someone who's struggling with money? Put their need first and treat them with what you have. That could be dropping off some supermarket vouchers, or taking them out for a meal/movie on you.

Take stock of your finances: how much are you actually giving away? Could you think about opening up a Stewardship giving account to set up a monthly direct debit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - thanks for visiting.
We're always happy to receive comments, however,
we do moderate them to avoid spam.