Friday 28 July 2017

Reflection Zone: Psalm 1

Psalm 1...

Happy are those
   who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
   or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
   and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees
   planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
   and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.

The wicked are not so,
   but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement,
   nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
for the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
   but the way of the wicked will perish.

Psalm 1: The Two Ways - a reflection by Sylvia Purdie 
[you can find her blog and reflections here at 'conversations']

I was out walking a farm track
one late summer’s day
long since the rain had fallen
long since, grass had faded to gold
I passed a field of crops
as the dry wind whipped the struggling plants
tossing away earth as dust
the plants collapsed and withered

I walked on as the path went down
winding through willow trees
roots deep in search of water
Hidden at the bottom of the gully
under a small strip of green
I found a flowing stream
and as I followed it
there were fruit trees
sheltered from the wind
drawing on the water
apples hanging bright and full
crisp and tangy sweet

I live that my life may be
surrounded by love
inspired by truth
sustained by Spirit
bearing fruit season by season

What does it take?
What choices must I make?
What advice must I ignore?
What paths must I avoid?

The Lord watches over the way of the righteous
but the way of the wicked will perish.
The way of the water
is the way of delight
delight in the way of the Lord.

I choose to sink roots into living water
to rest my mind, my heart and soul
in stillness, in waiting, in resting
(easy to say on holiday, harder to do in a busy week!)
day and night, night and day
I belong in the living Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - thanks for visiting.
We're always happy to receive comments, however,
we do moderate them to avoid spam.