Monday 3 April 2017

40 Acts of Lent: Day 29 - Sign Up


Act twenty nine - Sign Up  by Josh Trinder
There are heaps of charities out there that are struggling: for volunteers, for fundraisers, or for financial support. And they could be in the heart of your community right now, looking for a hand. Take a look over the charities you know who are engaged in Christian mission. Find out if they're struggling, and take steps to help them in the way they need most.
"Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 
No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, 
God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."
                                                                                                           1 John 4:11–12 (NIV)

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
                                                                                                           Mother Teresa

In March 2016, my wife and I volunteered for a housing resettlement project in the capital city of Sierra Leone. During the first week of our placement, we were encouraged to embrace the culture and adapt to our new surroundings, which was easier said than done. Our residence was situated in a gated compound, in the midst of a bustling slum community and market place.

I had an idea to raise awareness and funding for the charity through storytelling the lives of the village families. Even with the best intentions, developing personal relationships was a process that began by watching the children play football from our balcony. Waving hello felt great for a few days, but I had to get over my nervousness and take a step into their world. And all I needed to do was introduce myself to the kids below.

Listening and responding to the small ideas and nudges that we feel are gateways into encountering God. But we still need courage, and I needed it to meet the children.

Eventually I climbed down the dirt hill into the middle of their football pitch, and I suddenly found myself in a stare-off with dozens of boys and girls. I sensed curiosity and a hint of hostility as I waited for their approval. I introduced myself, hoping they would return the gesture. A moment later, their faces erupted with smiles and I made my first Sierra Leonean friends. After playing football and getting to know their names, a young man asked me why I was in their country. I politely answered his question, and he replied, 'I officially welcome you to my country, Sierra Leone.'  It was a beautiful moment that I won't forget.

Participating in local grassroots projects takes courage. Doing something uncomfortable or unfamiliar takes courage – but in that place, I believe God's love is most real.

Choose how to complete this act...
GREEN OPTION:
Find out about the organisations in your area. Spread awareness about a cause close to your heart: local or national.

YELLOW OPTION:
Could you fundraise for an organisation you feel passionate about?

RED OPTION:
Take a day's annual leave and put it to use with an organisation that needs help. Can you make an ongoing commitment and give up a couple of hours per week either in a local charity shop, foodbank, or project?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - thanks for visiting.
We're always happy to receive comments, however,
we do moderate them to avoid spam.